Monday, July 7, 2008

KEYWORD: CONTROL

BirthControlMethods

I've recently started Yaz as my primary birth control method. So far, so good ~ meaning: no side effects & I'm not pregnant.

Why Yaz, you say? I'll admit...marketing sucked me in. The cutesy commercial really got my attention. But before I decided to tell my OB/GYN that Yaz was my choice, I did my homework. Their site (linked throughout this post, btw) is very informative. But I didn't stop there. For nearly two weeks, I read every Google & Yahoo!Answers post I could find.

This morning, I was wondering: Why isn't BC discussed more? When I had my first menstrual cycle, the sex & birth control talk came along with the package. But I was given the short version of everything.
Lucky for me, my over-analytical inquisitive nature kept me from turning into another case of Little Black Girl Lost. I quickly realized that the information I wanted wasn't going to fall in my lap, so I became proactive about it (remember: you are your body's sole protector).

So I ask:
Ladies: If you're using BC, what's your primary method? What made you choose this?
If you aren't using BC, why not?

Men: Is this something that you discuss with the lady (or ladies) in your life?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still feel like this is a GREAT discussion! We aren't as open as we should be...it's shameful really...lives are at stake and like most things we take each other for granted...hopefully the next generation will get it right!

TrinaB. said...

I tried the birth control shot and it made me break out in hives every two months and lose my sex drive. Not good. Went back to the pill but I am researching those period suspension ones with great interest.

Haute in LA said...

I'm currently NOT using BC - b/c I 'm not getting any. :-( LOL! But when I am sexually active I DO NOT play around with my birth control. I don't want any children and no slip ups so I triple up: Pill+spermicide(I recommend C Film) and I make dude wear a condom.

I don't believe in "too cautious"
www.singleinla.today.com

GangStarr Girl said...

I have tried the patch and the pill (seasonale) and both yielded dismal results. While on the patch, I had 3 week periods (WTF) and while on the pill, one day my hands just went numb. Yep, just outta the blue, so I called it a wrap. I swore never to use bc again but then my doctor (who i trust) suggested the Nuva Ring. She said it's probably be perfect for me given my previous circumstance (even offered to pay the co-pay if it didn't work). So far so good. I've been on for about a year and I have no complaints. The only side effect (out of the usual bc side effects) I experience from time to time is dry eyes. But that's it.

New Jack said...

i LOVED that Yaz made me happier than anything in the world...people thought I was drunk all the time i was so friggin happy...but then after a month it make me puke...every. single. day. upon taking it.

The End

Miz Cheekz said...

iud - 8 years strong - side effects have been minimal for me. we've got 2 kids & we're good. i'll be doing the permanent fix after this :)